Friday, May 11, 2007

Sleep Miracle

OK--I admit it--Joshua's pediatrician is way better than me. He has totally transformed Joshua's sleep routine (and our lives). On Monday, it took 25 minutes, Tuesday 15 minutes, Wednesday 7 minutes, Thursday 5 minutes, and tonite--no joking--5 seconds for him to protest and wail a good 2 or 3 cries, and then he just lay down on his pillow. I came out to the kitchen and Annette, wondering if something was wrong, asked "What happened?"
I said, "He's asleep!"
Annette: "No way!"
Me: "Yes way!"
High fives all around.

We had been fooling ourselves all this time that Joshua needed us and the whole lying-on-the-floor-together in order to sleep. And I was beginning to be convinced he had a phobia of his crib. What psychological harm I would be inflicting on him by forcing him to face the harsh cruel nite alone in the crib! Rubbish. We had actually been preventing him from falling asleep by being with him!

Joshua has definitely given me a good story to tell my patients.

No comments: