Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Back to Sleep

It looks like Joshua has finally gotten over his night time sleeping fears. It took a while, and a lot out of Annette. One night, she came up to me and said, "I give up." The crying, screaming, escaping from the room was tiring her and stressing her out. So I laid down some simple rules for Joshua--once the gate was closed, no Joshua going out, and no dadda going in. He would open the door and holler at the gate, stack up toys, cushions, and chairs to try to escape, and would even sleep on the floor at the gate. But once he understood we weren't going to give in, his crying shortened progressively, until it was just 2 minutes last nite, and none tonite--where he just went down without a complaint.

And he was so sweet about it tonite. He didn't fall asleep right away, so in the dark, he got out of bed, walked over to his bookshelf, and picked out a book to read in bed. I checked on him a little later, and he was fast asleep, with his hands clutched to the open pages of his "Tails" book. It just warms my heart.

We went to the Watertown spraypool again today and afterwards, he told me, "I had a lot of fun with you today dada!"

Joshua had a great time at his first visit to the preschool today. We stayed for an hour and a half, and he copied the other kids eating Kix for breakfast--he had 4 bowls and poured his own cereal and milk for the first time. I have no doubt that Annette and I baby Joshua incredibly, and going to school, will probably allow Joshua to blossom in ways that will blow us away.

No comments: